Tuesday, June 8, 2010

New Purchase / Regret?

Oooooh so shit... woke up and feel so crappy today.. went out drinking with a buddy last night and I am totally out of it.. Need to finish packing, clean for my apartment inspection tomorrow, get my haircut, figure out where I am keeping my car, get cash, get Euros, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

So started the day by trying to clean up some. I had a very busy day and if I was going to get everything on my list done I would need to hurry.

So anyway my cat has to get his one last treatment within 24 hours of flying.. so on Monday I called the vet to ask about an apointment early wednesday morning... as I was just waiting for sommething to go wrong, this was it.. The vet does not work wednesdays.... F*CK!

So I asked the lady when the latest apointment they had available was on Tuesday. Luckily they had one at 5:30... the flight is at 4:45 on the 9th so this will work out just fine.

So I finished getting everything cleaned. Ran to Lowes to get new drip pans for the oven b/c its way too dirty to clean. Got my haircut... went to the vet and got my cat his worms treatment and the airline certificate signed.... Then i went to best buy.

So I have been wanting to buy a computer for the move for a few weeks now. Unfortunatly the computer I want (a Lenovo Thinkpad) takes about 2 weeks to deliver. I procrastinated way too long to be able to order one. So a week ago I looked to see what stores sell Lenovo. Only one, Best Buy in Iowa city. They carry one model.

So at 8pm one night I haul ass to Iowa City to get there before they close so I can look at the commputer. Well, it was shit. Complete shit. And every other computer there was complete shit too. Flimsy screen and chassis... crappy keyboard. The only thing semi decent was a Sony notebook, but I've never heard anything good about Sony.. and all the shit they pre-load and then Best Buy ads on top of it.. was just not something I wanted to deal with.

So anyway I wandered over to the Mac area. Played with the macbooks and wow.. very nice.. very fast. nice battery life (10 hours) and a great keyboard... the only problem... the price. $1000 for the white mac book... which was decent.. but.. its white.. which means its going to get dirty.. yellow and well.. I don't want that... So i look at the macbook pro for $1,200. its very nice... light.. sturdy... feels like its quality... but.. wow.. $1,200 for a 13.3 display? Unreal. The 15" version was $600 more. And then there is the matter that I don't have any mac software. I have plenty of Windows software and well I've been running Linux on my current Thinkpad for about 2 years so I know where to get software and so forth. But I know I can run Office and Photoshop via WINE so that would be an alternative to having to re-buy office and MAC related software.. but still $1,200 for a computer... I've never had a new computer.. always bought used.. but again I was worried my trusty thinkpad would break and buying computers in Europe is always about 30% more..

So after 3 or 4 visits back to Best Buy to play with the computer I decided to buy it... The bad thing is, I don't have much time to play with it, so after I brought it home I powered it up to make sure it works and then let it run over night just to make sure its not a lemon.

So now that I have my new computer I can finish packing and get ready to have my inspection tomorrow and go to the airport..... Just hope I don't regret the computer purchase.. I'm spending a TON of money as it is and I could of bought a VERY nice Thinkpad for about $800... the extra money would sure come in handy......

No comments:

Post a Comment